December 20, 2014

Poem: I Sing of a Maiden (I Syng of a Mayden)

Painting by Bartolme Esteban Murillo - Wikipedia 

I Sing of a Maiden (I Syng of a Mayden) is an anonymous English poem which dates back to a 15th century manuscript, but likely goes back in oral tradition much further. Based upon the Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin Mary found in Luke 1:26-38, it is considered by scholars to be one of the finest examples of Middle English lyrics. I Sing of a Maiden is included in the Poems for Advent and Christmas Appendix of the Divine Office (1974).

Setting by Patrick Hadley (1899-1973)

I SING OF A MAIDEN (Anonymous)

I sing of a maiden
That is matchless;
King of all Kings
For her Son she chose.

He came all so still,
Where His mother was,
Adv As dew in April
That falleth on the grass.

He came all so still
To His mother's bowr,
As dew in April
That falleth on flower.

He came all so still,
Where His mother lay,
As dew in April
That falleth on the spray.

Mother and maiden
Was ne'er none but she;
Well may such a lady
Godes mother be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but they won't be published immediately. I moderate them first, just to weed out spam etc.

- Thanks