November 10, 2012

Be Consoled, My People

Take Courage, O Fair Jerusalem.

Be Consoled, My People written by Tom Parker, was first published in 1968 as part of Let All the Earth Sing His Praise. He began writing music for the church in 1966 as a student at St. Mary’s Seminary in Baltimore under Rev. Eugene Walsh, S.S.. Tom Parker has remained active in the Church as a composer and musician since that time. Some of his other songs include We Come to Join in Your Banquet of Love and Praise the Lord, My Soul. In the Liturgy of the Hours, Be Consoled, My People is used during Advent.

2 comments:

  1. Take a look at this version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evo30SuSwHA. It was put up on YouTube by Augustana College in 2010. The refrain seems right, although the words to the verses are different than what's in my breviary. In any case, it's very pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't think it's the same, but your right: something similar in the chorus. Unfortunately I haven't yet found a good video to post for "Be Consoled, My People".

    The song from Augustana College is beautiful. The singer is Cyprian Consiglio, a "Camaldolese Benedictine monk, musician, composer, author and teacher, from the community of New Camaldoli Hermitage in Big Sur, CA". I'd never heard of him before, but he has made quite a number of albums for OCP.

    http://www.cyprianconsiglio.com
    http://contemplation.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but they won't be published immediately. I moderate them first, just to weed out spam etc.

- Thanks